Directors: Monika Schmelz, PhD, Mark Nelson, PhD
The mission of the Pathology Core Service Laboratory (PCSL) is to support the research activities at the University of Arizona College of Medicine, other UA Colleges and potential industrial partners. PCSL is located in the Department of Pathology, University of Arizona Health Sciences, in rooms 5207 (151 sq ft) and 5211 (370 sq ft).
PCSL provides the following expert services:
- Histology Services
- Pathology Services
- Consult with a Pathologist
We are a full service histology laboratory offering fast turnaround and consistent, high quality, and reproducible results. Histology services include:
- Paraffin wax processing and embedding of formalin fixed tissues and cells (FFPE)
- Thin-sectioning of paraffin blocks
- Cryo (frozen) sample preparation and sectioning
- Histochemical stains including hematoxylin & eosin (H&E), Giemsa, Nissl, Periodic Acid-Schiff (PAS).
We provide pathology review by our team of Board Certified Clinical Pathologists:
- Histopathology slide review and scoring
- Study design
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Formal reporting and/or informal discussion
Immunohistochemistry is used for the diagnosis of abnormal cells and the distribution and localization of certain proteins-of-interest in the cell. PCSL will help to detect any marker of interest with high sensitivity and minimum background. All staining will be done semi-automatically or automatically.