The Department of Pathology has 3 full-time, dedicated Hematopathologists including Dr. Catherine Spier, Dr. Lisa Rimsza and Dr. Deborah Fuchs. This easily accessible team provides expert diagnostic services for patients being seen at the University Medical Center and Arizona Cancer Center. Outside consultations directly from Pathology groups in the state and region are also welcomed. All areas of Hematopathology are available for consultation including: benign and malignant diagnoses, pediatric and adult patients with samples from peripheral blood, body fluids, bone marrow, lymph nodes, or extra-nodal tissues. On-site flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, cytogenetics, histocompatibility, and new molecular lab studies support the diagnostic service. Difficult diagnoses routinely undergo quality assurance review between the 3 hematopathologists.
Specialized Coagulation Testing (with written consultation for some of the tests):
• Platelet Aggregometry (ADP, Collagen, Arachidonic acid, Ristocetin)
• Platelet Function Analysis by PFA-100
• Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia Antibody testing - COMING SOON
• Hypercoagulable state testing: Factor V Leiden, Prothrombin Gene Mutation, Protein C activity, Protein S activity, Antithrombin activity
• Factor Assays (V, VII, VIII, IX, XI, XIII) and Factor Inhibitor Assays (FIX, FVIII)
• Von Willebrand Disease Panel (vWF activity, vWF antigen, FVIII activity)